Academic session begins, Education Department yet to get data on 25% seats for EWS

The new academic session has begun but the Education Department is yet to get the complete data regarding reservation of 25% seats in the first or entry-level class in recognised private schools in the state.

The last date to upload the data regarding the reservation/declaration of 25% of seats has now been extended up to April 6.

The Directorate of Elementary Education, last month, had instructed all District Elementary Education Officers (DEEOs) to ensure that 25% of seats in the first or entry-level class in all recognised private schools are reserved for children from economically weaker sections (EWS) and disadvantaged groups. The last date to upload the data was April 1, later the last date was extended up to April 3.

As per information, just 1,215 schools out of 10,679 in the state had uploaded the data on the department’s seat declaration portal, following which the date has been further extended.

Prashant Munjal, zonal president, Haryana Progressive schools’ Conference, said “Such works should have been completed by February-end or by March so that the new academic session is started in a smooth manner. In the current situation, private recognised schools have been asked to keep 25% seats reserved, and the department is still seeking data regarding the same. The entire admission process may take a month and it will affect the studies of the students. Besides this, due to the delay, a number of seats may remain vacant as a majority of the students would have already taken admission.”

“The private school operators are also facing issues in uploading the details on the portal of the department following which we have raised the matter with the higher authorities. Even the dues for teaching the students under the RTE Act for the past couple of years is yet to be cleared. The department should clear the dues timely to avoid disputes between the department and the private schools,” he added.

Meanwhile, District Elementary Education Officer (DEEO) Sudhir Kalra said, “The date has been extended till April 6. The private schools have been directed to declare their seats at the earliest so that the admission process could be started. The pending dues for teaching the students under the RTE will be cleared as per the rules.”

Haryana Tribune