'I Hope For 'Zero Tariffs' Between US & Europe': Elon Musk

Days after US President Donald Trump announced tariffs on trading partners, tech entrepreneur Elon Musk stated on Saturday that he hoped to see full freedom of trade between the United States and Europe in the future.

During a video-link interview with Matteo Salvini, Italy’s deputy prime minister and the leader of the far-right League party, Musk said, “At the end of the day, I hope it’s agreed that both Europe and the United States should move ideally, in my view, to a zero-tariff situation, effectively creating a free-trade zone between Europe and North America", as reported by CNN.

"If people wish to work in Europe or wish to work in North America, they should be allowed to do so in my view," Musk said, adding that this "has certainly been my advice to the president."

Musk has declared his support for Salvini's League and has been close in the past to Giorgia Meloni, the right-wing prime minister of Italy, and her Brothers of Italy party.

Italy, which has a significant trade surplus with the US, will be subject to a broad 20% tarrif along with other EU nations under Trump's plans, which were unveiled on Wednesday.

Following Trump's tariff announcement, Italian Economy Minister Giancarlo Giorgetti, a League member, stated earlier on Saturday that the government desired "de-escalation" with the U.S. and cautioned against enacting retaliatory tariffs.

As the head of the recently established Department of Government Efficiency, Musk, a Trump adviser and the owner of SpaceX, Tesla, and the social media network X, has been instrumental in government downsizing.

China To Put 34% Tax On All US Imports 

As part of a slew of retaliatory actions in response to Trump's proposed tariffs, China said on Friday that it will put a 34% tax on all US imports starting next week.

Meanwhile, speaking on the consequences of Trump's broad tariffs earlier this week, French President Emmanuel Macron and Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed on Saturday that a trade war was not in anyone's best interests.

ALSO READ: 'Hands Off': Thousands Protest Against Trump Across US

world