Badminton academy facing probe ‘received over Rs 10L’ in 2024-25 FY

The 2024-2025 financial year bank account statement of the Ludhiana Badminton Academy available with The Tribune belied claims of its secretary Anupam Kumaria as the statement shows that the academy received more than Rs 10 lakh in the form of donations via cheque or cash.

Even players, who were taking coaching, or adults who had been paying charges for playing at Shashtri Badminton Hall, from where the academy is being run, have also sent complaints to the Deputy Commissioner (DC), Ludhiana, as evidence of fee collection by it.

A complaint signed by a number of players sent to the DC states: “We would like to bring it to your attention that approximately 200 adult players regularly play at Shastri Badminton Hall, which is allegedly managed by Anupam Kumaria. We too are regular players at the facility. For a long time, we have been paying a monthly fee of Rs 500 to Kumaria. However, despite multiple requests, we have never been provided with any receipt for our payments. Other members also pay their monthly fees in cash but do not receive any receipts. We believe the information could be significant for the ongoing investigation being conducted by the SIT. We appreciate your attention to the matter and look forward to a fair probe.”

“Besides Rs 10 lakh received in bank account of the academy, it got more than Rs 6 lakh in the form of cash as entry fees. It had organised three state championships at Shashtri Hall without any permission last year. Additionally, the Ludhiana Badminton Association has been organising District Championship every year in which they get around Rs 4 lakh in cash and no receipts are issued to players who participate in championships. Importantly, the association gets free shuttlecocks from the Punjab Badminton Association to conduct state championships. Hence, the association was using the stadium free of cost, electricity bill is paid by the MC and shuttlecocks are provided free of cost by the Punjab Badminton Association,” said national badminton player and coach Anand Tiwari on whose complaint a SIT was formed by the Deputy Commissioner and separate investigation was being conducted by the Ludhiana police to investigate the allegations.

Meanwhile, Kumaria said he appeared before the SIT on Friday and took a copy of the complaint having allegations against him. “I am studying the complaint, have done nothing wrong, will submit all evidences of the academy before the SIT. It is just politics being played by some quarters to defame me. People give donations at their will which we use for expenses of the academy but we never asked for money from anyone. Truth will prevail,” he said.

The controversy

Notably complainant Anand Tiwari in his complaint has alleged that Ludhiana’s prestigious Shastri Badminton Hall, a government-owned multi crore property facility, was being illegally controlled and misused by unauthorised Ludhiana Badminton Association. The association is led by Anupam Kumaria for the past 15 years. He has also been running the unauthorised Ludhiana Badminton Academy registered at his residence without government approval and he was operating his personal academy at Shastri Hall. Entry fees, donations and sponsorship money had been collected in cash, siphoning millions from innocent players and their families.

Ludhiana