MISTAKE that benefits no one

Blitz Bureau

WASHINGTON: As US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on the ‘reciprocal tariffs’, the world reacted sharply against the decision, with some calling it a “mistake that benefits no one” while others called it a violation of Washington’s obligations under the World Trade Organisation, according to an IANS newsfeed. Amid widespread opposition, Trump on April 2 signed an executive order imposing a 10-per cent ‘minimum baseline tariff’ and higher rates on certain trading partners, reports Xinhua news agency.

The Brazilian Government criticised the US for imposing an additional 10 per cent tariff on all Brazilian exports, saying that the move violates Washington’s commitments to the WTO.

Brazil trade surplus

The US trade surplus with Brazil in 2024 amounted to approximately $7 billion in goods alone, and it reached $28.6 billion last year when goods and services are combined, Brazil’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement, noting that “this represents the third-largest trade surplus for the United States worldwide.”

Given that the United States has recorded recurring and significant trade surpluses of $410 billion in goods and services with Brazil over the past 15 years, the unilateral imposition of an additional 10 per cent tariff on Brazil under the justification of restoring balance and ensuring “trade reciprocity” does not reflect reality, the ministry said.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni criticised Trump’s decision to impose tariffs on the EU, calling it “a mistake that benefits no one.” She said that Italy would work to reach an agreement with the US to prevent a trade war that could weaken the West in favour of other global players.

“We will do everything we can to reach an agreement with the United States to avert a trade war, which would inevitably weaken the West and strengthen other global actors,” Meloni said.

Not a friendly act

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also condemned the new US tariffs on imports from the nation as “unwarranted” and “not the act of a friend.” Albanese said that Trump’s announcement of a 10 per cent tariff on all imports from Australia did not come as a “surprise” to the Government but said they have “no basis in logic.”

The UK Government and business groups also expressed concerns over Trump’s announcement of a 10 per cent tariff on all British imports, warning that the move could disrupt bilateral trade and put pressure on struggling sectors, including manufacturing and small businesses.

The post MISTAKE that benefits no one appeared first on World's first weekly chronicle of development news.

News