Centre constitutes tribunal to adjudicate ban on 2 J&K parties

The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has constituted the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal with Delhi High Court Judge, Justice Sachin Datta, who will adjudicate the Centre’s decision to ban two Jammu and Kashmir-based parties.

The MHA had on March 12 declared Awami Action Committee (AAC) headed by Hurriyat Conference chairman and cleric Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Jammu and Kashmir Ittihadul Muslimeen (JKIM) led by Masroor Abbas Ansari as unlawful associations and banned them with immediate effect for a period of next five years.

It is pertinent to mention here that when any organisation is declared unlawful, the Centre has to refer it to a tribunal within 30 days of notification “for the purpose of adjudicating whether or not there is sufficient cause for declaring the association unlawful”.

The ban only comes into effect once it is confirmed by the UAP Tribunal by an order passed under Section 4 of the UAP Act.

Under the Section, on receipt of a reference, the tribunal shall call upon the association affected by notice in writing to show cause, within 30 days from the date of the service of such notice, why the association should not be declared unlawful.

The Home Ministry, in its official order last month, had stated that JKIM was indulging in unlawful activities, which were prejudicial to the integrity, sovereignty and security of the country. “The members of the JKIM have remained involved in supporting terrorist activities and anti-India propaganda for fuelling secessionism in Jammu and Kashmir,” the order read.

Similarly, for AAC, the MHA said its members have remained involved in supporting terrorist activities and anti-India propaganda to fuel secessionism in J&K. “The leaders and members of the AAC have been involved in mobilising funds for perpetrating unlawful activities including supporting secessionist, separatist and terrorist activities in J&K,” the notification read.

After the Centre’s decision, Union Home Minister Amit Shah had also, through a post on X, said that anyone found involved in activities against the nation’s peace, order and sovereignty is bound to face the “crushing blow” of the Modi government.

J & K